We invite you to join us for the Australia-wide, virtual commemoration of International Holocaust Remembrance Day and the Liberation of Auschwitz on Thursday 27 January at 7:00pm ACDT.
The members of the Australian Holocaust Museum Alliance have come together for this event, to inspire Australians to keep the memories of survivors and those murdered in the Holocaust alive.
At a time when the number of living survivors continues to dwindle, this event will illuminate the stories of the survivors, alongside the voices of leaders within the wider community. They will share their messages to combat racism and discrimination in order to ensure that the lessons from the Holocaust continue to be passed on to future generations.
Notable speakers include:
- Holocaust Survivor Yvonne Engelman OAM
- Holocaust survivor Nina Bassat AM
- Edward Santow, Former Human Rights Commissioner at the Australian Human Rights Commission
- Deng Adut, 2017 Australian of the Year (NSW)
- Dr Lois Peeler AM, 2017 Australian of the Year (VIC)
- Daniela Gavshon, Program Director of Public Interest Advocacy Centre’s Truth and Accountability program
- Sam Weiss, 2020-21 Composer Fellow for the Sydney Children’s Choir
Holocaust survivors from across Australia will participate in a moving candle lighting ceremony to signify that the memory of the 6 million murdered in the Holocaust will never be forgotten.
In addition to the ceremony, viewers will also be able to hear about the key findings and recommendations from a landmark piece of research, the Gandel Holocaust Knowledge and Awareness in Australia Survey, conducted by Deakin University and Gandel Foundation.
We hope you will join us in remembrance along with thousands of others across Australia.
This event is proudly supported by Gandel Foundation.
Date: Thursday 27 January 2021
Start Time: 7:00 pm ACDT
Event Type: Online event